The first part – always be safe. We are working with Procion dyes, and they are hazardous to inhale the very fine particles while mixing the dyes. So….
Wendy has all the gear, having collected plastic tubs, bins, cutlery, measuring spoons, cups and baggies from various and sundry dollar stores. The dye is from Dharma Trading. Two days ago we cut up some PFD fabric and soaked it in soda ash water, folded it up in various ways, and put it in the freezer. They are all frozen solid now.
We begin with mixing the dyes. Wendy tells me that if we mix with urea water, the results will be brighter. I’m all for bright (as is Wendy), so we’ve added one teaspoon of Urea per cup of warm water.
We made a paste with the dye and water, then filled up the cup – depending on the dye, between one and two teaspoons for a cup of water.
Now, the fun part. We took out our frozen fabric and started applying dye!
I can’t wait to see this piece when it’s over!
We have covered everything up with plastic so it doesn’t dry out while it’s thawing. Some are still in the baggies we used to freeze the fabric, some in larger bins and some just packaged up tightly in plastic wrap.
Tomorrow we’ll see the results of our work!