It was a long day, waiting for the dye to set. We didn’t wait an entire 24 hours – more like 22. You don’t have any idea how it’s going to come out until it’s washed, dried and ironed, and we were keen to get started.
We did a quick rinse of each fabric, then swished each piece around in water with a bit of Synthrapol. Squeezed them out a bit, and popped them in the washing machine, with 2 capfuls more of Synthrapol. Hot wash, double rinse cycle, cold rinse, and we threw in a Dye Catcher sheet. Then, the dryer. Then – the most important part – we ironed them. There’s something about taking a hot iron to your new hand-dyes that really brings out the character of them.
Our colours are Procion dyes from Dharma: sage green, fire red, lemon yellow, golden yellow and cerulean blue.
And – TA DAAAAA! – here are the results of our work:
So, what did we learn about freezer dyeing? We learned that if your fabric is too tightly folded, there won’t be good migration of the dye as it defrosts, leading to leftover white. That’s not always a bad thing, just so you know.
The scrunches worked really well – they are our favourite pieces. Also, using really concentrated dyes meant that we had vibrant colour at the end. The Urea probably had something to do with that too. Some people use salt to achieve a similar brightness.
We love the crystal effect on some of the pieces, and that is definitely a result of freezing the fabric beforehand. Even though the pieces thawed relatively quickly, we still had lots of crystal action.
Thanks Wendy for a most marvellous time in your garage! I’m going to try this again sometime.